If you are living in Japan and if you are trying to get permanent resident of Japan; here is good news for you.
According to the revised guidelines for permission for the permanent resident by The Ministry of Justice, Immigration Bureau of Japan, you only need one year to get permanent resident of Japan.
However, to grabs this opportunity, you should have Highly Skilled Professional (HSP) status for at least a year with 80 points or more.
New Immigration Rules To Get Permanent Resident of Japan
Before the new rule comes into effect, you should stay in Japan at least minimum of five years. In most cases, ten years of living is mandatory to get permanent resident of Japan.
With the new immigration rules, the number of years comes down to 3 years for some. And even little 1 year for certain highly skilled professional status people.
However, the standard rule to qualify for a permanent resident for the ordinary people who are not considered under the Highly Skilled Professional status still the same of 10 years.
Under the new regulation, if you have been approved as a Highly Skilled Professional (HSP) and scores 70 points; you can apply the permanent resident of Japan after 3 years with maintaining the same status.
If your application for Highly Skilled Professional is assessed as having 80 points or more, you can now apply the permanent resident in 1 year. In this case, you should maintain the Highly Skilled Professional status with 80 points or more for at least 1 year.
Who can Apply Permanent Resident in Japan?
- If you are in the status of Highly Skilled Professional (HSP) with 80 points or more for at least 1 year, you can apply permanent resident in Japan.
- If your status is Highly Skilled Professional (HSP) with 70 points for at least 3 years, you can apply permanent resident in Japan.
- Or, if you live in Japan continuously for the past 10 years in Japan.
- Additionally, if you have been the spouse of Japanese national for more than 3 years and you have lived in Japan continuously for at least 1 year.
Additional Requirements for Permanent Resident
All foreigners who are applying permanent resident in Japan should comply with the following conditions.
- You should pay your own taxes and insurance premium during your stay in Japan.
- You should not have had any criminal record including any traffic violence records.
- Your financial situation should be stable, and you should justify of minimum annual income threshold of 3.3 million yen for a single person, 4 million yen for a couple and 4.5 million yen for a couple with a child.
Point Evaluation Mechanism for Highly Skilled Professional171110_point_calculation_forms-1
Source: Immigration Bureau of Japan